Dr. Paul Stewart is a 1996 graduate of Kansas State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine. Kansas State University was his school of choice due to their comprehensive training program in wildlife, zoo and exotic animal medicine. He is a 1990 graduate of Virginia Tech with degrees in Animal Science and Biology. He is currently Veterinarian-in-Charge for Mill Mountain Zoo and his special interests include avian and exotic pet medicine, zoo medicine, surgery, endoscopy, laparoscopy, ultrasonography, radio-surgery, dentistry, preventative and geriatric medicine.
Dr. Stewart has been a guest lecturer at the Virginia Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, the Southwestern Virginia Bird Club meetings and Annual Bird Fair. He served as president of the Kansas State University Exotic Animal Medicine Club and was founder/director of its Veterinary Teaching Herpetarium (reptile collection). He has completed externships at the Topeka Zoo, the National Wildlife Health Lab and has appeared on Animal Planet’s “Wildlife Emergency”.
Dr. Stewart is a nationally accredited veterinarian and has maintained membership and affiliation to the following organizations.
- Association of Avian Veterinarians
- Association of Exotic Mammal Veterinarians
- Association of Reptile and Amphibian Veterinarians
- Mid-Atlantic States Association of Avian Veterinarians
- American Association of Wildlife Veterinarians
- American Veterinary Medical Association
- Roanoke Valley Veterinary Medical Association
- Virginia Veterinary Medical Association
Visit Avian and Exotics website for more information about his practice.