The Mill Mountain Zoo offers many fun and educational opportunities that can be brought to you!
Animal Encounters Outreach Program
If your school or organization cannot visit the Zoo, we can visit you! Our popular education programs include encounters with 4 animal ambassadors during a 45-60 minute program at a location of your convenience. Click here to download the reservation form.
Our outreach programs are aligned with academic standards. These programs are available to schools and homeschoolers, as well as retirement homes, libraries, churches and more! We can bring wildlife, fun, and an in-depth learning experience right to your school or business!
One of our experienced education specialists will be prepared to lead an interactive program with live animals right in the convenience and comfort of your classroom!
Learning Adventures Lessons
Mill Mountain Zoo’s Education Department offers a variety of exciting lessons aligned to academic standards. These programs are available to schools and homeschoolers. We can bring wildlife, fun and an in-depth learning experience right to your classroom!
One of our experienced education specialists will be prepared to lead a 90-120 minute interactive lesson with live animals and other hands-on opportunities right in the convenience and comfort of you classroom! Post-Visit Packets are also available for all lessons!
For more specific information, see our Lesson Plans and Confirmation Form.
Home School Wildlife Series
Mill Mountain Zoo offers a 3 week series of classes designed just for homeschool groups. Our Wildlife Series is the perfect solution for groups looking for further life-science enrichment. We offer 2 separate programs to choose from. One is designed for grades K-4, and the other is for grades 5-8. Students may sign up for all 3 parts of the series or take individual sessions, so as to best suit their interests and studies. Each class session covers life-science SOL’s, contains an activity and a personal encounter with Mill Mountain Zoo Education Animal Ambassadors.
- A minimum of 10 students and a maximum of 20 are required.
- Series is available throughout the entire S.W. Virginia Region.
- Lecture, discussion and animal encounter are all included in the price.
- Any materials, activities and take-homes are also included.
- Lessons are $175.
- Admission to Zoo is included in tuition for onsite lessons.
- Mileage charge is also added for any offsite locations over 20 miles away. Mileage charge is an additional $.65 for each mile traveled both ways over a 20 mile radius.
- A contact coordinator to serve as the group’s organizer, student recruiter and registrar
- An indoor area large enough to conduct class if offsite
- One onsite adult to attend each class
- Payment should be collected ahead of time and everyone paid for together.
Please fill out the registration form and email, fax or mail to the Mill Mountain Zoo Education Department. We will contact you after receipt to work out the dates and times for scheduling.